Funky Chunky - Top 10 Platforms
One of our readers, Sharmin, sent an email asking for a rundown of the best platforms to buy this season, and who am I to deny a girl her favourite shoes. After the jump is the (current) Shoewawa top ten platforms! Whether you like the chunky look or not, as I've said many times over the last couple of months, platforms are big news, so learn to love (or at least tolerate) them!
Chloe platform wedge sandals $655 at Neiman Marcus
- Heavy wooden wedges don't lend themselves to much walking, but these quality leather sandals have a certain 40s style charm. Just don't wear them with anything too flimsy.
Blue satin platform sandals £365 Christian Louboutin at Cricket
- Seriously sexy shoes in an unexpected (and eye-catching) colour! They're not for the faint hearted, but if you like to be seen, these are definitely the shoes for you.
Faux snakeskin platform courts £65 Topshop
- So beautiful they could turn even a non-believer like myself. These sturdy, feminine courts will give you that much-needed lift, and they'll go with just about everything in your wardrobe! All this for £65, and they're leather.
Steve Madden 'Cristan' peep toe wedges $89.95
- I've mentioned these before. Almost identical to Michael Kors' 'Newton' wedges, but at half the price, they're a great deal. Rumour has it they're insanely comfy, and they give loads of extra height.
'Flora pompom peeptoe' in black suede £49.99 at Office
- Also available in red, these scream retro, and the platform is low enough for the look to remain quite feminine. Team them with a hollywood starlet dress and red lipstick. Dita Von Teese, eat your heart out!
High heel bow detail ankle strap platform £430 Gucci
- The word 'vertiginous' was made for these shoes! Platform soles are the only way a girl could ever wear heels this high, and that Gucci touch gives them just enough class to stop you looking like a whore. But only just, so wear with caution!
Nine West 'Elsa' slingback platforms $82.95 at Zappos
- If the obviousness of sky-high, sex kitten platforms doesn't appeal, how about these preppy platforms with Gucci-inspired detailing in the horsebit detail instead? They're far more reserved, but still give you the extra height.
'Bleeker' espadrille wedge $198.95 KORS by Michael Kors
- Play beach babe early on with these espadrille style platforms. They're not quite as high as some of the other choices, and the lightweight wedge heel gives loads of support so they're comfy too. If you're not too keep on the black / beige colour scheme, there's a tan pair too.
Miss Sixty studded platform pump $165 at Urban Outfitters
- This is definitely one for younger platform fans. With distressed leather uppers and studs and grommets all over the jagged design, these shoes would look great poking out from under some worn-in jeans if you just can't bear to be without heels, even on casual days!
Kit sequin wedge sandal £19 at Additions Direct
- The cheapest of the lot at less than twenty quid, these have leather-look uppers similar to the Chloe sandals currently on everyone's wishlists, and a sparkly platform sole for a bit of glam. If you're not sure about this trend, this is a cheap way to dip your toes in the water.